(Buzzfeed.com) –It can be hard to find time for mindfulness when you’re a parent. Aetna believes if you remember to #takeamoment it can help you appreciate every memorable minute, especially those with your children.
- When the kids wake you up by jumping on you.
You may be groggy, but you should embrace this positive, happy moment so you can get through the challenging ones to come.
- When you realize you need to prepare everyone’s lunches while also cleaning up from breakfast.
Try to be patient with yourself and with the rest of your family as you jump through this hoop to start the day.
- The moment when your child remembers they’ve forgotten something important.
Ah, another little frustration! Try using mindfulness to respond rather than react.
- Or worse, when your child is sick and needs to stay home from school.
This will require a shift of focus and will change the course of the day. Do your best to relax, focus, and take charge of your emotions.
- Leaving work with the nagging fear you’ll be late to pick up your kids.
We’ve all been there, and it can cause rising anxiety. But it’s important to notice when you’re being hard on yourself — and then cut yourself a break.
- The dinner and homework rush.
With a flurry of kids returning from after-school activities with homework to be done and dinner to be made, this part of the night can feel like a stress whirlwind. Try to give yourself permission to pause and be present.
- And the bedtime dance.
This is another moment that, while stressful, can be joyful, too. Note whatever is happening in the moment with a gentle and open mind.
- Planning the perfect birthday party…
As you practice mindfulness, you’ll become able to identify the thoughts that deplete your energies and put you in a bad mood. Be aware of your emotions during this arduous but ultimately rewarding task.
- …or corralling the whole family into a car for a long drive.
Same rules apply.
Read the full article here.